This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0654 / 51°3'55"N
Longitude: 0.7126 / 0°42'45"E
OS Eastings: 590158
OS Northings: 133068
OS Grid: TQ901330
Mapcode National: GBR QWB.0ZC
Mapcode Global: FRA D6C9.KF3
Entry Name: Maynard's Farmhouse
Listing Date: 8 June 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1070383
English Heritage Legacy ID: 179661
Location: Tenterden, Ashford, Kent, TN30
Civil Parish: Tenterden
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
The following building:-
TQ 93 SW APPLEDORE ROAD
(north east side)
16/142 Maynard's Farmhouse
shall be upgraded to Grade II* (star) and the description shall read:-
Farmhouse. Late C14 service wing to north west, the original open hall at
right angles to the south west demolished c1590 when a new parlour wing was erected which heightened the earlier roofline and incorporated, to the
extreme south west, a probably resited house ofc1480, which is separately
framed and shows a coved jetty on the outside of the house. A further 2-
storey addition was made to the north west c1590 ofwhich only the frame to
the side of the massive chimneystack remains. The structure was replaced
by an early C20 1-storey structure. Until this century a further wing
existed to the south east, creating a half-H plan. Timber-framed with some plastered panels, some replaced in the C20 with cement. Old tiled roof with
3 large late C16 chimneystacks, one to north west end, one to south west
end and one to rear. Frame has midrail and although most of the windows to
the front are early C20 casements with leaded lights, many of the original
window openings survive. Front has C20 framed porch with gabled tiled roof
on brick base. Rear door is early C19 6-pamelled door under flat hood on
iron brackets in brick projection. The late C14 service wing has curved
bracing and intact roof with smoke-blackening, octagonal crownpost with 2 downbraces and some treads of a solid oak staircase. One door retains
leather washers of c1400, an extremely rare survival. Internal framing and
smoke-blackening in roof suggests there was a smoke bay before the chimney
stack was inserted in the late C16. Kitchen has open fireplace with
cupboard to right with H-hinge and wooden plank draught excluder. Shutter
groove to C14 house by chimney. Brick floor. Room at back of kitchen has
bread ovens. Service wing retains newel post only of late C16 staircase.
Circa 1590 Parlour wing has large room with moulded ceiling beams, since subdivided, a master bedroom with very fine carved bressumer dated 1590
with the further carving "E R 33" and carving of grapes and decorated
spandrels. A blocked in entrance to the right side may be the entrance to
a former garderobe. Original floorboards. Intact roof with collar beam and windbraces, angled queen struts and staggered purlins. Circa 1480 wing has framing which is unusual for Kent and may have been transported from another site. One room has traces of painted panels of geometrical shapes beneath
the plaster. The house appears in an Inventory of 1586 when the house
belonged to Thomas Hatch, a farmer and merchant. The c1590 improvements may
have accommodated business premises as well as living accommodation.
1715 APPLEDORE ROAD
(North East Side)
TQ 93 SW 6/142
A C16 timber-framed and plastered house of truncated half-H plan. 2 storeys.
Tiled roof with massive brick stacks. The rear has 2 reset mediaeval
corbels. 3 modern casements and 5 original window openings with leaded
lights. Modern left side hipped porch.
Finchden Manor with gatepiers & garden wall & stables. & Maynard's Farmhouse,
with Priory Farmhouse (on south-west side of Appledore Road) form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ9015833068
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings