History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cartshed Immediately North East of Little Lucy's Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Hildenborough, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2119 / 51°12'42"N

Longitude: 0.2241 / 0°13'26"E

OS Eastings: 555443

OS Northings: 148205

OS Grid: TQ554482

Mapcode National: GBR MNR.X29

Mapcode Global: VHHPZ.TSTV

Entry Name: Cartshed Immediately North East of Little Lucy's Cottage

Listing Date: 19 February 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1070396

English Heritage Legacy ID: 179584

Location: Hildenborough, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN11

County: Kent

District: Tonbridge and Malling

Civil Parish: Hildenborough

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Hildenborough St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Tonbridge

Listing Text

HILDENBOROUGH

LOWER STREET (north side)

TQ 54 NE
5/150

Cartshed immediately north
east of Little Lucy's Cottage

GV
II

Cartshed on the Leigh estate. Dated 1875. Built for Samuel Morley, who owned
the estate in the 1870s. Red brick with bullnose brick dressings the gables
clad in imitation of timber framing the infill roughcast; peg-tile roof.
Vernacular Revival style.

Plan: Rectangular on plan with a 2-bay open fronted cartshed in the centre
flanked by store rooms.

Exterior: Single storey. Symmetrical overall with some variations to the
openings. The cartshed entrances are divided by an iron column. The framed
gables of the store rooms to left and right have timber pendants. The left
hand gable has a segmental-arched doorway to the left, a segmental-arched 2-
light small-pane casement to the right and 2 low round-headed openings. The
right hand gable has a central segmental-arched doorway with a C19 stable
door, flanked by 2-light unglazed windows. Datestone of 1875 with the
initials SM.

Roof: 1875 tie-beam, king post and strut trusses with diagonal boarding
concealing the rafters.

Samuel Morley, Liberal M.P. and hosiery millionaire employed both George Devey
and George and Peto on the Leigh estate houses and cottages.

Group value with Little Lucy's Cottage.


Listing NGR: TQ5544348205

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.