History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Pharmacy

A Grade II Listed Building in Hadlow, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2239 / 51°13'26"N

Longitude: 0.3388 / 0°20'19"E

OS Eastings: 563414

OS Northings: 149790

OS Grid: TQ634497

Mapcode National: GBR NQ7.8G9

Mapcode Global: VHHQ1.THHL

Entry Name: The Pharmacy

Listing Date: 20 October 1954

Last Amended: 19 February 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1070452

English Heritage Legacy ID: 179522

Location: Hadlow, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN11

County: Kent

District: Tonbridge and Malling

Civil Parish: Hadlow

Built-Up Area: Hadlow

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Hadlow

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Hadlow

Listing Text

HADLOW HIGH STREET (south side)
TQ 63 49
7/86 The Pharmacy (formerly listed
20.10.54 as House and Shop 15 yards
west of Church Street)

GV II

House with chemist's shop. Circa 1800, shop front rebuilt circa 1970.
Flemish bond red brick; brick stacks with original chimneyshafts; peg-tile
roof.

Plan: Double depth-plan house facing onto the Square to the north. It is 2
rooms wide and 2 rooms deep, the rooms heated by end stacks. The ground floor
internal partitions towards the front have been removed to create a shop but
originally there was a central entrance hall - stairs still rise at right
angles to the entrance hall between the left rooms. 2 storeys with attics in
the roof space.

Exterior: Symmetrical 3-window front. The ground floor section was rebuilt
as a shop front circa 1970 and comprises curving bow window with glazing bars
either side of central front doorway which contains double doors (part-glazed
and panelled) and an overlight containing a glazing bar pattern of circles.
First floor has 3 original 12-pane sashes with flat arches over a gauged
rubbed brick. Stucco band at eaves level and plain parapet. Tall roof is
gable-ended and contains 2 front flat-roofed dormer windows containing 9-pane
sashes.

Interior: Has no exposed carpentry. It does include some original joinery
like the stick baluster stair and panelled doors.

The Pharmacy is one of an attractive and varied group of listed buildings in
the centre of Hadlow.


Listing NGR: TQ6341449790

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.