This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1044 / 51°6'15"N
Longitude: 0.6344 / 0°38'3"E
OS Eastings: 584525
OS Northings: 137196
OS Grid: TQ845371
Mapcode National: GBR QVM.R63
Mapcode Global: VHJN7.YH7R
Entry Name: Birchley East birchley Farmhouse birchley West
Listing Date: 16 August 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1071005
English Heritage Legacy ID: 180127
Location: Biddenden, Ashford, Kent, TN27
Civil Parish: Biddenden
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
5272 Birchley Farmhouse
TQ 83 NW 3/114 16.8.62.
Birchley Farmhouse is a C16 timber-framed house originally called Barkley
and built by the Randolph family. The north front has close-studding with
plaster infilling. Its west end is recessed with its 1st floor oversailing
on the protruding ends of the floor joists and a gable over containing an
attic window. Bay of 2 tiers of 6 lights on the ground floor flanked by windows
of 3 lights. Similar oriel window with plastered cove beneath and minus the
flanking windows on the 1st floor. The attic window has 3 lights. The remaining
portion of the front has a projecting bay of 2 tiers of 7 lights on the ground
and 1st floor with a gable above over-sailing on brackets and containing an
attic window. Doorway in the left corner with a sloping hood supported on
brackets of carved figures. All the windows are casement windows with wooden
mullions and transoms and small diamond-shaped leaded lights. Tiled roof.
Clustered brick chimneystack. The west front is tile hung, the east front
faced with red brick on the ground floor and with weather-boarding above.
Modern wing added to the south. Birchley West and East are additions circa
1905 in red brick part tile hung but Birchley West contains part of the C17
The interior contains C16 panelling, and one room has wall painting probably
dating from the C17. One doorway has the date 1632 and the initials W R (William
Randolph) E R (his wife Elizabeth) and B R (his son Bernard) and one window
frame has 'Bernard Randolph 1610' scratched on it.
Listing NGR: TQ8452537196
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings