History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parsonage Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Aldington, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.087 / 51°5'13"N

Longitude: 0.9599 / 0°57'35"E

OS Eastings: 607391

OS Northings: 136128

OS Grid: TR073361

Mapcode National: GBR SYX.X2M

Mapcode Global: FRA D6W7.ZRT

Entry Name: Parsonage Farmhouse

Listing Date: 27 November 1957

Last Amended: 10 August 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1071207

English Heritage Legacy ID: 181592

Location: Aldington, Ashford, Kent, TN25

County: Kent

District: Ashford

Civil Parish: Aldington

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Aldington

Listing Text

TR 03 NE ALDINGTON CHURCH LANE
(east side)
4/7 Parsonage
Farmhouse
(formerly listed
27.11.57
as Parsonage
Cottages) with
water pump
GV II
House, sometime cottages. C16 or earlier. Timber framed and clad
with painted ragstone, red brick and tile hanging with plain tiled
roof. L-shaped plan (probably hall house with cross-wing plan),
subsequently lobby entry, now altered. Two storeys with hipped cross-
wing projecting to left, and stacks to end left and clustered to
centre right. Two wooden casements with leaded lights to cross-wing
and main block on 1st floor, and glazing bar sash, 2 shallow C20 oriels
and casement on ground floor. Partly glazed plank and stud door to
centre left (re-entrant angle), with exposed jambs of original entry
to centre right (in front of stack). Extension of 1 storey to left
with conservatory and half-glazed door. Framed interior (with
moulded and enriched tie beams) reported by Igglesden (Vol. 13, 1919).
Both Desiderius Erasmus (1512) and Dr. Thomas Linacre (classical
scholar and Royal Physician) were rectors of Aldington, this building
being the former parsonage/rectory, although neither is known
definitely to have visited Aldington (then a favoured residence of the
Archbishop of Canterbury. (See Igglesden, op.cit.).


Listing NGR: TR0738936130

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.