History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tower Lodge and Flanking Walls, Eastwell Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Boughton Aluph, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1771 / 51°10'37"N

Longitude: 0.8802 / 0°52'48"E

OS Eastings: 601415

OS Northings: 145931

OS Grid: TR014459

Mapcode National: GBR SXV.1CQ

Mapcode Global: VHKKG.6NPZ

Entry Name: Tower Lodge and Flanking Walls, Eastwell Park

Listing Date: 27 November 1957

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1071321

English Heritage Legacy ID: 181369

Location: Boughton Aluph, Ashford, Kent, TN25

County: Kent

District: Ashford

Civil Parish: Boughton Aluph

Built-Up Area: Ashford (Ashford)

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Boughton Aulph

Listing Text

TR 04 NW BOUGHTON ALUPH FAVERSHAM ROAD
(north side)
Goat Lees

5/42 Tower Lodge and
Flanking Walls,Eastwell Park
27.11.57

GV II

Tower and Gateway. 1848. William Burn. Knapped, squared and coursed
flint, with ashlar quoins, window dressings and banding. Tower lodge:
3 storeys with four corner turrets, each of 4 storeys with ashlar quoins
and dressings on plinth. Ground floor of square section, with weathered
base to octagonal upper storeys. String course to first floor, moulded
stone cornice to second floor, and entablature and cornice to ogeed
cupola. Chamfered stone mullioned windows, 2 light on ground floor, single
light above on alternate faces. Central 2 storey gateway, with wrought
iron double gates and wrought iron overthrow over. Heavy strap-work
and rusticated pilasters to rusticated arch and strap-work in spandrels.
String course with carved fleur-de-Lys frieze over, to second floor
chamber, with single-light chamfered windows either side of full
achievement with grotesque pilasters supporting entabluture with cornice
and pierced balustrade. Interior: Chamber over gateway with mosaic of
Alexander the Great's victories. Flanking walls: 6 feet high sweeping
out, 25 yards to left and right of squared coursed flintwork, with
ashlar-quoined piers, ball finials and stone balustrades terminated by
panelled piers with large crowned lions bearing coats of arms. The
wall then extends a further 25 yards either side as uncoursed flint,
with coping stones.


Listing NGR: TR0139045944

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.