History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Surrenden Dering

A Grade II Listed Building in Pluckley, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1741 / 51°10'26"N

Longitude: 0.7718 / 0°46'18"E

OS Eastings: 593855

OS Northings: 145308

OS Grid: TQ938453

Mapcode National: GBR RWC.9Y7

Mapcode Global: VHKKD.BRD8

Entry Name: Surrenden Dering

Listing Date: 14 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1071392

English Heritage Legacy ID: 181134

Location: Pluckley, Ashford, Kent, TN27

County: Kent

District: Ashford

Civil Parish: Pluckley

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Little Chart

Listing Text

1.
5272 PLUCKLEY SURRENDEN PARK
Flat Nos 1, 2 and 4,
Surrenden Dering
TQ 9345 27/12 14.2.67 Flat No 3, Surrenden Dering
II
2.
C18. These were built as the stables and coachhouse of Surrenden Dering.
These stand to the north of the site of the mansion and are now subdivided.
They form an L-block, of which the former stables are the south arm and the
former coachhouse the east arm. Two storeys red brick. Hipped tiled roof
with modillion eaves cornice. Dering windows with brick cambered head linings
above the round-headed lights, with keyblocks at the angles and in the centre
of the heads. In the centre of the stables is a tall round-headed carriage
archway through the building with a pediment over on each side. Also 2
elliptical-headed doorways, with fanlights of 3 lights and doors of 9 fielded panels and 2 tiny lead cupolas above the roof. Ground floor additions behind
to the west. The interior has the date 1856 in it, but this was probably the
date of the insertion of the loose-boxes. The coachhouse also has a similar archway in the centre of it, with a shaped Dutch gable over containing a
clock-face and a small wooden cupola on the roof behind this surmounted by a weather vane. On each side of the archway are 2 coachhouses with double doors
of 12 panels and 2 windows on the first floor above. The courtyard is paved
with stone paving.


Listing NGR: TQ9385545307

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.