This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1897 / 51°11'22"N
Longitude: 0.7771 / 0°46'37"E
OS Eastings: 594154
OS Northings: 147047
OS Grid: TQ941470
Mapcode National: GBR RW5.C8K
Mapcode Global: VHKKD.FC5C
Entry Name: Ruins of the Original Calehill House
Listing Date: 14 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1071433
English Heritage Legacy ID: 181032
Location: Little Chart, Ashford, Kent, TN27
Civil Parish: Little Chart
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
5272 LITTLE CHART CALEHILL PARK
Ruins of the original
TQ 94 NW 10/130 14.2.67.
There have been at least 3 houses known as Calehill here. The estate belonged
to the Darell family from 1410 until the C20. To the south-east of the building
now known as Calehill House are the ruins of the original house, built by
Sir John Darell who died in 1438. These are of stone rubble and include a
C15 window of 2 cinquefoil-headed lights. In the C18 another house was built
by Philip Darell to the south-east (subsequently demolished), and the older
building fell into ruins.
Listing NGR: TQ9416447095
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings