This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1954 / 51°11'43"N
Longitude: 0.7296 / 0°43'46"E
OS Eastings: 590815
OS Northings: 147556
OS Grid: TQ908475
Mapcode National: GBR QTL.Z52
Mapcode Global: VHKKC.L6KZ
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 14 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1071496
English Heritage Legacy ID: 180880
Location: Egerton, Ashford, Kent, TN27
Civil Parish: Egerton
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
5272 EGERTON THE STREET
Church of St James
TQ 94 NW 10/1 14.2.67
Originally a Chapel of Ease to Charing. Built of Kentish ragstone. Chancel
with north chapel (now the vestry), nave with north aisle, south porch and
west tower in 3 stages, with an octagonal vice turret in the north-east corner
carried up to form a beacon enplacement and buttresses at the other angles
of the tower. Gargoyles. The chancel, north chapel and north aisle are C14.
The nave, south porch and west tower C15, 3 bay nave with 2 crown posts, piscina
and triple sedilia. The churchyard contains some table tombs, oval bodystones
and some C18 headstones, with skull, cherub and hourglass motifs. The church
stands in a very prominent position and is a land mark for miles around, like
the church of Great Chart marking the northern edge of the Weals.
Listing NGR: TQ9071047466
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings