History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Abbeystead

A Grade II Listed Building in Over Wyresdale, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9848 / 53°59'5"N

Longitude: -2.6614 / 2°39'41"W

OS Eastings: 356725

OS Northings: 454505

OS Grid: SD567545

Mapcode National: GBR 9QVC.M9

Mapcode Global: WH95T.23YJ

Entry Name: Abbeystead

Listing Date: 24 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1071597

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182573

Location: Over Wyresdale, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Over Wyresdale

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Over Wyresdale Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Shireshead

Listing Text

SD 55 SE OVER WYRESDALE ABBEYSTEAD

12/37 Abbeystead
-
GV II

Country house, built by Douglas and Fordham as a shooting lodge for the
Earl of Sefton in 1886. Sandstone rubble with slate roofs. Elizabethan
style. Two main ranges at right angles form the south and east sides of an
entrance courtyard. On the east side subsidiary buildings are grouped
around a second courtyard. 2 storeys with attics. Elevations irregular, with mullioned or mullioned and transomed windows, projecting bay windows,
and gables with ball finials. Main part of south facade has 4 gabled
projections with canted sides, each of a different size and design. To
each side of the 2nd projection are gabled attic dormers. Chimneys have
tall shafts. The main entrance is through a porch on the north side of
this range. Above the outer Tudor-arched doorway are the Molyneux arms
carved in stone. The range on the east side of the courtyard incorporates
a 4-storey tower. Inside, the hall has 2 moulded stone fireplaces dated
1887 with simple stone surrounds surmounted by fluted Ionic columnettes
bearing small figures carved in the round. Small-panelled overmantles bear
the Molyneux arms. Towards the rear of the room is a timber arcade. Other
rooms have ceilinqs with carved ribs with low-relief panels between. The stair has barley-sugar balusters.


Listing NGR: SD5672554505

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.