This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.1808 / 54°10'50"N
Longitude: -2.6148 / 2°36'53"W
OS Eastings: 359968
OS Northings: 476284
OS Grid: SD599762
Mapcode National: GBR BN53.P2
Mapcode Global: WH94V.T50S
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 4 October 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1071615
English Heritage Legacy ID: 182519
Location: Whittington, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA6
Civil Parish: Whittington
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Whittington St Michael the Archangel
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 57 NE
CHURCH STREET (south side)
Church of St.Michael
Church, probably early C16th, with nave and chancel extensively restored
in 1875, probably by Paley and Austin. Sandstone rubble with slate roofs.
Comprises a west tower, a nave with clearstorey and chancel under a
continuous roof, and north and south aisles. Tower has diagonal buttresses
with offsets, and an embattled parapet. The bell openings each have 3
round-headed lights under a flat head. Below on the west wall is a niche
with statue. The west window is of 3 round-headed lights under a flat head
with hood. The west doorway is pointed and hollow-chamfered in 2 orders.
Re-set in the south wall are fragments of stone with chevron decoration.
The south nave aisle is of 2 bays, the windows being of 3 lights with
Perpendicular tracery under flat heads. The chancel aisle is of one
similar bay, with a door to its left with a pointed arch and a buttress
separating it from the nave bay. The 4 clearstorey windows have square
surrounds pierced by, alternately: quatrefoils, and circles with mouchette
tracery forms. At the left is an open timberporch with carved decoration.
Under the apex is carved: 'AD MDCCCLXXV'. The pointed doorway is hollow
chamfered in 2 orders. To each side of it are re-set stones with cable
moulding and chevron decoration. On the north side the aisle and
clearstorey are treated similarly, but with 2 aisle bays, and an organ
chamber and vestry to their east. The east wall of the church has 2
buttresses with offsets. The east window is of 3 lights under a pointed
head with Perpendicular tracery. Interior has 5-bay arcades, one of the
bays being within the chancel, with a further half bay on the south side
of the chancel. The arches are pointed and chamfered in 2 orders. The
piers are octagonal. On the north side some of the capitals are moulded.
The tower arch is chamfered in 2 orders which die into the responds. The
open timber roof has braced queen post trusses and curved wind braces. The
chancel screen is elaborately carved, with tracery and other decoration.
At the east end is a carved stone reredos. The marble font, very late
C19th, is carved with tracery panels, shields, and other decoration. Glass
in 3 windows by Powell, including east window. 2 windows in south aisle by
Kempe & Tower.
Listing NGR: SD5996876284
Other nearby listed buildings