History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Christ Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Over Wyresdale, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.984 / 53°59'2"N

Longitude: -2.686 / 2°41'9"W

OS Eastings: 355112

OS Northings: 454428

OS Grid: SD551544

Mapcode National: GBR 9QPC.9M

Mapcode Global: WH84N.Q445

Entry Name: Christ Church

Listing Date: 2 May 1968

Last Amended: 24 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1071626

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182543

Location: Over Wyresdale, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Over Wyresdale

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Over Wyresdale Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Shireshead

Listing Text


SD 55 SE OVER WYRESDALE

12/7 Christ Church (formerly listed as
2-5-1968 Wyresdale Chapel)
- II

Church, 1733, extensively altered in 1894 by Douglas. Sandstone rubble
with slate roofs. Comprises a west tower, nave with lower chancel, south
porch, and north vestry. Tower has rock-faced diagonal buttresses and a
short slated spire with weather vane set back behind an embattled parapet.
Below the parapet is a string course with corner gargoyles. The bell
openinqs are each of 2 liqhts with segmental heads. The west window
appears to be re-set and is chamfered with 2 round-headed liqhts. The nave
has chamfered quoins at each corner and copings with kneelers. Its present
windows are of 1894 and have lights with elliptical heads. To each side of
the tower in the west wall there is one of one light. The south wall has 2
pairs of 2-light windows, each window with a blank tracery panel over the
lights and each pair under one hood. At the far right is a one-light
window. To its left is a doorway flanked by Doric pilasters and with a
round head which has a fluted keystone. Set back within it is a moulded
stone door surround of 1894. At the left is a gabled porch whose outer
doorway has a moulded pointed arch. The inner doorway is flanked by
pilasters and has a round arch with fluted keystone. Around the arch is
inscribed: 'O ye shepherds hear the word of the Lord'. Set back to the
right is a one-bay chancel which has a one-light window has a pointed head
with tracery and with an ogee head to the light. On the north side it is
similar. The east window is of 5 ogee lights under a Tudor-arched head
with tracery. On the north side the nave has 2 2-light windows to the
right of the vestry and one of one light to the left. The vestry has a
3-light window. Interior has moulded pointed arches to the tower and to
the sanctuary. The open timber roof of the nave has 2 bolted king post
trusses with ogee braces to the principals. The truss between the nave and
the choir stalls resembles a spere truss and has aisle posts with carved
tracery decoration, arch braces rising to a high collar and smaller braces
to the aisle ties. The pews appear to be of 1894 and have carved ends. 'the
pulpit contains C17th carved panels, including the date of 1684. Wall
tablets include one by Websters of Kendal to Richard Hathornthwaite (d.
1816). The windows contain some glass of late C19th date.


Listing NGR: SD5511254428

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.