History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Home Farmhouse, with Dairy and Tea Room Attached

A Grade II Listed Building in Whittington, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1804 / 54°10'49"N

Longitude: -2.6161 / 2°36'58"W

OS Eastings: 359883

OS Northings: 476248

OS Grid: SD598762

Mapcode National: GBR BN53.D5

Mapcode Global: WH94V.S6D1

Entry Name: Home Farmhouse, with Dairy and Tea Room Attached

Listing Date: 4 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1071648

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182498

Location: Whittington, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA6

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Whittington

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Whittington St Michael the Archangel

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Kirkby Lonsdale

Listing Text

WHITTINGTON
SD 57 NE

1/198 Home Farmhouse, with dairy and
tea room attached

GV II

House, c.1700, restored 1885 when a tea room and dairy were added on the
north-west side by Paley and Austin. 2 storeys. Windows rebated and hollow
chamfered, of 2 lights, with cyma-moulded hoods treated as open pediments.
At the left and right sides of the facade there are 2 adjacent windows on
each floor. Towards the centre there is a single window on each floor. To
the right of this bay is the door, which appears to be of walnut, with
applied mouldings, in a stone doorcase with crude pilasters and a
projecting hood on brackets. Gable chimneys. At the left is the
single-storey tea room, with timber and plaster facings on a stone base.
The main roof continues the direction of the house roof at a lower level
and ends with a bay window with a gable over. In the angle between this
and the gable wall of the house is a projection with hipped roof, with 2
adjacent timber windows facing forwards. The windows have elaborate
leading and some stained glass panels. Adjoining at the rear is the
octagonal stone dairy whose roof continues downwards over a continuous
verandah supported on timber posts and is surmounted by a lantern with
weather vane. On 3 sides the dairy has 6-light mullioned and transomed
windows. Inside, the tea room has oak panelling, and a fireplace surround
inscribed: 'DG [Dawson Greene] 1885'. The dairy has marble shelves
supported on marble baluster columns, panels of coloured tiles depicting
the four seasons, and a ribbed timber roof with pendant bosses around the
lantern.


Listing NGR: SD5988376248

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.