History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Stables North of Whittington Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Whittington, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1808 / 54°10'50"N

Longitude: -2.62 / 2°37'11"W

OS Eastings: 359634

OS Northings: 476287

OS Grid: SD596762

Mapcode National: GBR BN43.L2

Mapcode Global: WH94V.Q5LS

Entry Name: Former Stables North of Whittington Hall

Listing Date: 4 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1071650

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182503

Location: Whittington, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA6

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Whittington

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Whittington St Michael the Archangel

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Kirkby Lonsdale

Listing Text

WHITTINGTON
SD 57 NE

1/203 Former stables north of
Whittington Hall

GV II

Former stables, now used as domestic accommodation. 1830s by George
Webster, altered 1887 by Paley and Austin. Sandstone rubble with slate
roof. East wall of block on east side f courtyard is a 2-storey
symmetrical composition, with 2 central bays, with gabled bays projecting
slightly on each side. The windows have hoods. On the ground floor the
central bays have cross windows and the outer bays ones of 6 lights with
mullions and transoms. On the 1st floor the central bays have 2-light
mullioned windows and the outer bays stepped windows, with 3 lower lights
and one upper. Between the central bays is a gable with an oculus under.
On the ridge of the roof is cupola with a bell under an open domed
canopy, and a clock face dated '1887'. At its south-western corner the
block is linked to the rear of Whittington Hall by a Tudor arch with the
inscription 'TG 1831' over. The west wall of this block has a blocked wide
entrance with elliptical arch, now containing 2 later doors. On the 1st
floor is a Tudor-arched pitching door, now blocked to form a window. The
stable court has entrance through its north block which has a chamfered
Tudor arch. The south wall of the block has 2 chamfered doorways, and
cross windows on the ground floor.


Listing NGR: SD5963476287

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.