This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1113 / 54°6'40"N
Longitude: -2.6371 / 2°38'13"W
OS Eastings: 358446
OS Northings: 468566
OS Grid: SD584685
Mapcode National: GBR BN0W.WZ
Mapcode Global: WH951.GXGL
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 4 October 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1071692
English Heritage Legacy ID: 182409
Location: Hornby-with-Farleton, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2
Civil Parish: Hornby-with-Farleton
Built-Up Area: Hornby
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Hornby with Claughton
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
HORNBY-WITH-FARLETON MAIN STREET (west side)
SD 56 NE
7/113 Church of St Mary
Roman Catholic Church, 1820. Sandstone rubble with hipped slate roof.
East wall has gabled porch of shallow projection. This has a Venetian
opening, with the door flanked by windows. At each side a corbel supports
a stone bust, the left-hand one of the Emperor Constantine, the right-hand
one of King Oswald of Northumbria. Inside there is a flat ceiling. Nave and
chancel are divided by 2 Tuscan columns and 2 attached columns. Behind the
altar are 2 half-columns and 2 quarter-columns. These may have come from
the C18th chapel at Claughton, said to be-dismantled to provide stone for
the present church. Dr. John Lingard, author of the History of England,
was priest at Hornby between 1811 and 1851 and was responsible for
building the present church.
Listing NGR: SD5844968570
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings