History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn North of Crook Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Thurnham, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9888 / 53°59'19"N

Longitude: -2.8692 / 2°52'9"W

OS Eastings: 343105

OS Northings: 455096

OS Grid: SD431550

Mapcode National: GBR 8QD9.MW

Mapcode Global: WH84K.W0WG

Entry Name: Barn North of Crook Farmhouse

Listing Date: 2 May 1968

Last Amended: 7 March 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1071719

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182276

Location: Thurnham, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Thurnham

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Find accommodation in
Overton

Listing Text

SD 45 NW THURNHAM

7/209 Barn north of Crook Farmhouse
2-5-1968 (Formerly listed as Farm
buildings at Crook Farm
under General)

GV II

Barn, 1676. Sandstone rubble and cobble, with some red sandstone in north
wall. Slate roof. South wall, facing farmyard, has wider shippon end at
right with 2 rows of ventilation slits. To its left is a wide entrance with
timber lintel. Further left are 2 doors with plain reveals. Gables have
copings with kneelers. The right-hand (east) gable wall has dressings re-used
from Cockersand Abbey. The 2 shippon doors have hollow-chamfered surrounds
with pointed heads. The central window has 2 trefoiled heads to the lights,
now with the central mullion removed. The northern wall is mostly covered by
later additions. At its western end is a one-light chamfered window. A wide
entrance has a segmental hollow-chamfered arch. Inside are 6 trusses with tie
beams, collars and raking queen struts. The tie beam to the west of the main
entrance is inscribed: 'RD 1676'.


Listing NGR: SD4310555096

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.