History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Arkholme-with-Cawood, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1406 / 54°8'26"N

Longitude: -2.6305 / 2°37'49"W

OS Eastings: 358909

OS Northings: 471825

OS Grid: SD589718

Mapcode National: GBR BN2K.9G

Mapcode Global: WH951.K6M2

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 4 October 1967

Last Amended: 4 December 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1071728

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182297

Location: Arkholme-with-Cawood, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA6

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Arkholme-with-Cawood

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Arkholme

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Arkholme

Listing Text

ARKHOLME-WITH-CAWOOD
SD 57 SE
Church of St John the Baptist
4/3 (formerly listed as Parish Church)
4-10-1967
GV II*

Church, late Perpendicular, extensively restored in 1897 by Austin and
Paley. Sandstone rubble with stone slate roof. Comprises a nave with south
aisle, a chancel under a continuous roof, a vestry, and a south porch. The
west wall has a 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery under a pointed
head. To the right is a buttress with offsets. The west window of the
aisle is of one trefoiled light. At the apex of the gable is an ashlar
bellcote topped by a cyma-moulded open segmental pediment. This probably
dates from the 1788 reconstruction, when the church was given round-headed
windows with plain stone surrounds, removed by Austin and Paley. The north
nave wall is of bays having cross windows with trefoiled upper lights.
The south aisle wall has 4 2-light windows with flat heads and trefoiled
lights, the 2 right-hand windows adjacent. The porch is buttressed and has
a coping with kneelers and a moulded doorway with pointed head and hood.
In the east wall of the aisle is a window of 2 hollow-chamfered
round-headed lights. The east window is of 4 trefoiled lights under a
pointed head with Perpendicular tracery. The hood mould is re-used and has
worn head stops. Both gables have copings with kneelers, the eastern one
also with a finial. Interior has 4-bay arcade of round arches of 2
chamfered orders and octagonal piers with capitals. Some masons' marks are
visible on the arches. The eastern capital has some rough carving,
including a dog chasing a hare and a slung horn. The roof has queen-post
trusses and wind-braced purlins. The eastern end of the church was rebuilt
during the restoration and contains twin sedilia and a piscina.


Listing NGR: SD5890971825

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.