This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9951 / 53°59'42"N
Longitude: -2.7868 / 2°47'12"W
OS Eastings: 348516
OS Northings: 455738
OS Grid: SD485557
Mapcode National: GBR 8QZ7.GM
Mapcode Global: WH84F.5V64
Entry Name: Galgate Silk Mills
Listing Date: 2 May 1968
Last Amended: 7 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1071763
English Heritage Legacy ID: 182167
Location: Ellel, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2
Civil Parish: Ellel
Built-Up Area: Galgate
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Ellel St John The Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 45 NE ELLEL CHURCH LANE
8/103 Galgate Silk Mills (east side of
[Formerly listed as Silk Mill
(East Block) under
Silk mill, erected for John Armstrong in 1852, now converted into warehouse
units. Brick with ridge-and-furrow slate roof. 5 storeys, 9 bays, with
corners treated as pilasters with stone capitals. Windows have stone lintels
and small panes, the upper lights pivoting horizontally. Central bay has
loading doors, now partly blocked to form windows, on ground, 1st, and 3rd
floors. Main entrance in 1st bay, which is topped by a sprinkler tank.
Linked to the main building at the north is a 2-storey range of similar
appearance. Towards the rear, between the two parts of the building, is the
boiler house with a tapering brick chimney of square plan. Interior said to
have wooden floors on iron columns.
Listing NGR: SD4851655738
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings