History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Hall Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Caton-with-Littledale, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0739 / 54°4'26"N

Longitude: -2.7017 / 2°42'6"W

OS Eastings: 354180

OS Northings: 464446

OS Grid: SD541644

Mapcode National: GBR 9PKB.WC

Mapcode Global: WH842.GVPR

Entry Name: Old Hall Farmhouse

Listing Date: 7 March 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1071785

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182115

Location: Caton-with-Littledale, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Caton-with-Littledale

Built-Up Area: Caton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Caton with Littledale

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Claughton

Listing Text

SD 56 SW CATON-WITH-LITTLEDALE LITTLEDALE ROAD

5/42 Brookhouse
- Nos. 5 & 7 (Old Hall
Farmhouse)

- II

House, 1685. Slobbered rubble with stone slate roof. 2 storeys, with
continuous drip course over ground and 1st floors. Left-hand part of facade
has, on 1st floor, 2 sashed windows with glazing bars in rebated and chamfered
surrounds. On the ground floor are 2 windows, the left-hand one fixed with
glazing bars with a rebated and chamfered surround. The right-hand one is
mullioned of 2 lights and ovolo-moulded. To the right of each window is a
doorway, the left-hand one, now glazed to form a window, having a chamfer
which continues upwards to form an ogee shape on the lintel. The right-hand
doorway is cyma-moulded and has a shaped lintel dated '1685', but with the
initials removed. Further right is one bay having sashed windows with glazing
bars and plain stone surrounds. At the far right is a further bay having a
similar window on the 1st floor and a tripartite window below, sashed with
glazing bars and with a plain stone surround and square mullions. Doorway to
left has plain stone surround. Chimneys on gables and to left of right-hand
bay. Interior said to have exposed main ceiling joists. The house appears to
have a plan which is unusual for the area and would merit further
investigation.


Listing NGR: SD5418064446

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.