This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.05 / 54°2'59"N
Longitude: -2.6906 / 2°41'26"W
OS Eastings: 354880
OS Northings: 461776
OS Grid: SD548617
Mapcode National: GBR 9PNL.8Y
Mapcode Global: WH848.MGYL
Entry Name: The Cragg Farmhouse
Listing Date: 4 October 1967
Last Amended: 7 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1071786
English Heritage Legacy ID: 182119
Location: Caton-with-Littledale, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2
Civil Parish: Caton-with-Littledale
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Caton with Littledale
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 56 SW CATON-WITH-LITTLEDALE LITTLEDALE ROAD
5/46 The Cragg Farmhouse
4.10.1967 (Formerly listed as Cragg
House, 1736. Watershot sandstone with stone slate roof. 3-cell plan. 2
storeys with attic, 4 bays. Continuous string on ground floor, interrupted by
doorway, with flat soffit and cyma moulding above. Windows mullioned with
rebate and ovolo moulding. Those on 1st floor have straight drip moulds. All
on the ground floor are of 3 lights, as is the left-hand one on the 1st floor.
The rest are of 2 lights. The door, in the 2nd bay, has an architrave with
pulvinated frieze and cornice. Above is an oval plaque inscribed: 'WP
[William Parkinson] 1736'. Chimneys on gables and between 3rd and 4th bays.
Gables have copings with kneelers. The right-hand (north-west) gable wall has
a blocked 2-light attic window. Continuous outshut at rear, partly original.
Inside, the right-hand room has a shouldered stone fireplace and chamfered
main joists. The middle room has a similar fireplace, but moulded and with a
cornice mantel. The entrance to the stair is flanked by pilasters and has a
dentilled cornice. The dog-leg stair has a closed string and turned
balusters, the lower ones now missing.
Listing NGR: SD5488061776
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings