This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0694 / 54°4'9"N
Longitude: -2.6957 / 2°41'44"W
OS Eastings: 354568
OS Northings: 463944
OS Grid: SD545639
Mapcode National: GBR 9PMC.5Z
Mapcode Global: WH842.KZJ6
Entry Name: Moorgarth
Listing Date: 7 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1071787
English Heritage Legacy ID: 182122
Location: Caton-with-Littledale, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2
Civil Parish: Caton-with-Littledale
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Caton with Littledale
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 56 SW CATON-WITH-LITTLEDALE MOORSIDE ROAD
House, early-to-mid C19th. Built as Caton workhouse and converted, probably
by Paley junior, into house for Paley family c.1900. Sandstone rubble with
stone slate roof. 2 storeys with attic and cellar, 7 bays. Windows sashed
with glazing bars and plain stone surrounds with straight hoods. 7th bay has
stained glass window on ground floor and is blank on 1st floor. Bays 4, 5 and
6 covered by single-storey porch with cornice and parapet. Its left-hand part
has a 4-light window with square mullions and glazing bars. To the right the
doorway has an architrave with semi-circular head, keystone and impost band.
It is flanked by pilasters and has a string course and plaque above. The
gutter is treated as a cornice, with 4 modillions over each bay. Above is a
hipped attic dormer. The gables have copings with kneelers, and chimneys.
3rd chimney to right of 5th bay. On the south side are 2 added 2-storey bay
windows with hipped roofs. On the east side are further additions.
Listing NGR: SD5456863944
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings