History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ware Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Cockerham, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9683 / 53°58'5"N

Longitude: -2.822 / 2°49'19"W

OS Eastings: 346172

OS Northings: 452777

OS Grid: SD461527

Mapcode National: GBR 8QQK.V7

Mapcode Global: WH84L.MJD6

Entry Name: Ware Cottage

Listing Date: 7 March 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1071796

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182141

Location: Cockerham, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Cockerham

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Cockerham St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Cockerham

Listing Text

SD 45 SE COCKERHAM

12/68 Ware Cottage
-

- II

House, c.1600, altered. Sandstone rubble and cobbles, replacing timber and
clay, with roof of corrugated iron replacing thatch. One storey with loft.
North wall has openings with plain stone surrounds. 3 windows, the
right-hand one with part of its surround removed and all now unglazed. Doors
at right and to right of 1st window. West gable has attic window with plain
stone surround. East gable has blocked chamfered window on ground floor and a
2-light chamfered mullioned attic window. South wall, mainly of cobble, has 3
windows with plain reveals. At the far left, beyond the right-hand reveal oil
a door, the wall has collapsed. Interior has feet of at least 2 cruck trusses
rising to tie beam level from the front (north) wall. At the left-hand end
the house is divided into a buttery and pantry with paired chamfered timber
doorways. Nailed to the post between them is a plaque inscribed '1597'. The
wall separating the 2 rooms is of large timber panels with wattle-and-daub
infill. The parlour has a moulded stone fireplace of late C17th type, with
shaped lintel. The 2 other rooms are separated by a wall with back-to-back
plain stone fireplaces. Part of the soffit of the rear wallplate is visible,
showing mortises for timber studs, now removed. The house was unoccupied at
time of survey (March 1984) and in a semi-derelict condition.


Listing NGR: SD4617252777

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.