History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Cockerham, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9642 / 53°57'51"N

Longitude: -2.818 / 2°49'4"W

OS Eastings: 346431

OS Northings: 452322

OS Grid: SD464523

Mapcode National: GBR 8QRL.QP

Mapcode Global: WH84L.PM9B

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 7 March 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1071797

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182145

Location: Cockerham, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Cockerham

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Cockerham St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Cockerham

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/04/2012


SD 45 SE
12/72


COCKERHAM
RECTORY GARDENS
Nos. 15 & 16


(Formerly listed as Nos 15 & 16 Rectory Gardens)


II


Former vicarage, converted to nursing home, now flats, 1843. Squared sandstone with steep slate roofs. Main (east) facade formed by 2 parallel gabled wings with a narrow bay between them. Rear range has roof running north-south. 2 storeys with attics. Windows have outer chamfer and inner hollow chamfer. Facade has 2 moulded string courses and is symmetrical. Under each gable is a 6-light mullioned and transomed window on the ground floor, 2 cross windows on the 1st floor, and a stepped 3-light mullioned attic window. The central section has a cross window on the 1st floor. Above is a shield carved with an open bible, and a motto: 'LUCERNA PEDIBUS'. The doorway has a moulded Tudor-arched head with 'I.D. 1843' above. It is flanked by narrow lights, each with a transom. The south facade, of 4 bays, has mullioned and transomed windows with similar details. The left-hand bay is gabled and projects slightly. To the right are stone attic dormers.


Listing NGR: SD4643152322

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.