History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Estate Mill, Gresgarth Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Caton-with-Littledale, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0628 / 54°3'45"N

Longitude: -2.7165 / 2°42'59"W

OS Eastings: 353203

OS Northings: 463216

OS Grid: SD532632

Mapcode National: GBR 9PGG.PC

Mapcode Global: WH848.74PR

Entry Name: Estate Mill, Gresgarth Hall

Listing Date: 4 October 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1071813

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182081

Location: Caton-with-Littledale, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Caton-with-Littledale

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Caton with Littledale

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Claughton

Listing Text

CATON-WITH-LITTLEDALE
SD 56 SW

5/8 Estate Mill, Gresgarth Hall
4.10.1967

GV II

Mill, now workshop. Said to have been corn mill 1780-1815, a threshing mill
in 1843 and a saw mill later. Sandstone rubble with roof of slate and stone
slate. 2½ storeys. North-east wall has central part of 3 bays which have
plain stone surrounds with Tudor-arched heads. The left-hand bay has windows
with glazing bars which intersect under the head. The central bay has a door
on the ground floor with a loading door above now blocked to form a window.
The right -hand bay has a door on the ground floor, and a window above with
brick reveals. To the right of this central section is a ground-floor window
with plain stone surround. At the left, beyond a straight joint, is an added
part having 2 ground-floor doors with plain reveals. The left-hand return
wall has external stone steps. Both the attic and 1st floors have a window
with plain stone surround, Tudor-arched head and glazing bars which intersect
At the rear is a projecting wing. No machinery remains inside. Price,
J.W.A., The Industrial Archaeology of the Lune Valley, Lancaster 1983, p.78.


Listing NGR: SD5322663211

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.