History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Littledale Free Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Caton-with-Littledale, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0537 / 54°3'13"N

Longitude: -2.6655 / 2°39'55"W

OS Eastings: 356531

OS Northings: 462172

OS Grid: SD565621

Mapcode National: GBR 9PTK.QM

Mapcode Global: WH95F.1C0Q

Entry Name: Littledale Free Church

Listing Date: 7 March 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1071817

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182086

Location: Caton-with-Littledale, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Caton-with-Littledale

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Caton with Littledale

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Claughton

Listing Text

CATON-WITH-LITTLEDALE
SD 56 SE

6/13 Littledale Free Church
-

- II

Church, now disused. Built 1849 as "Free" Church of England church for
Revd. John Dodson of Littledale Hall (q.v.) who seceded from the Church of
England over the Gorham judgement. Sandstone rubble with steep slate roof.
Comprises a nave with no chancel division, and a south porch. Windows of 2
chamfered lights with trefoiled heads. To the west of the porch on the south
side are 3 bays separated by buttresses. The right-hand window has lost its
mullion. To the right of the porch is one bay. At each end of the wall is a
diagonal buttress. The gabled porch has a doorway with pointed arch chamfered
in 2 orders. Above is a plaque inscribed: 'A Free Church 1849.... ' The east
wall has 2 trefoiled lancets with a central buttress. Above is a gabled
bellcote with a trefoiled opening with hood. The north nave wall is of 5 bays
separated by buttresses. The western window is taller. The west wall has a
3-light window with plate tracery and a stone louvre at the apex, with 4
gabled sides pierced by trefoils. Interior has roof of scissor-braced
rafters.


Listing NGR: SD5653162172

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.