History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hyning Priory

A Grade II Listed Building in Warton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1536 / 54°9'13"N

Longitude: -2.7566 / 2°45'23"W

OS Eastings: 350681

OS Northings: 473355

OS Grid: SD506733

Mapcode National: GBR 9N5D.ZS

Mapcode Global: WH83N.MVJM

Entry Name: Hyning Priory

Listing Date: 7 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1071823

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182002

Location: Warton, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA5

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Warton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Warton St Oswald (or Holy Trinity)

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Warton

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 09/04/2015

SD 57 SW
4/232

WARTON
HYNING ROAD (off)
Hyning
Hyning Priory

(Formerly listed as St Bernard's Priory)

II
Country House. Central block 'newly built' in 1809 (Warton Manor Court Book),
with mid C19th right-hand wing and mid C20th left-hand wing. Sandstone ashlar,
with stuccoed wings. Dressings of left-hand wing of artificial stone. Slate
roof. Central symmetrical block of 3 bays and 2½ storeys has end stacks and
chamfered quoins. Porch of artificial stone with carved coat of arms. Ground
floor windows are tripartite sashes with glazing bars, with pilasters as jambs
and baseless Tuscan columns as mullions. 1st floor windows similar but with
plain stone surrounds. Central window over porch sashed with glazing bars in
plain stone surround. Attic windows have plain ashlar reveals and fixed
lights with glazing bars. Outer windows blank, with cornice and parapet above:
central window has semi-circular head under small pediment. Flanking wings
have hipped roofs with overhanging eaves on square brackets. Right-hand wing
has a tripartite sashed window with glazing bars in plain stone surround on
both floors. Left-hand wing has tripartite sashes which are mid-C20th copies
of windows in the central block, with Tuscan columns and pilasters. To the
left of this wing the facade of an original pavilion survives, probably one of
a pair which once flanked the main block. It has a large blank tripartite
window with plain stone surround, a string course with blank Diocletian window
above and a cyma moulded coping to the pediment. Interior much altered in the
mid C20th, with re-used panelling in the left-hand wing and a stair with open
string, barley-sugar balusters and the ground-floor newel treated as a
Corinthian column.


Listing NGR: SD5068173355

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.