History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. John

A Grade II Listed Building in Yealand Conyers, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1669 / 54°10'0"N

Longitude: -2.7565 / 2°45'23"W

OS Eastings: 350706

OS Northings: 474828

OS Grid: SD507748

Mapcode National: GBR 9N68.01

Mapcode Global: WH83N.MJLG

Entry Name: Church of St. John

Listing Date: 2 May 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1071835

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182029

Location: Yealand Conyers, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA5

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Yealand Conyers

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Yealand Conyers St John The Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Burton

Listing Text

SD 57 SW YEALAND CONYERS CHURCH LANE

4/286 Church of St. John
2. 5. 1968
II


Church, 1838, 1861 and 1882. Limestone rubble with limestone dressings to
the earlier part, sandstone dressings to the later chancel, a pebbledashed
tower and slate roof. Church comprises a nave, a chancel with a roof of
steeper pitch, and a north aisle with pitched roof. A tower rises above
the west wall with a projecting battlemented parapet. The doorway is in
the west wall, flanked by buttresses and with a pointed head and hood mould
of square section. Beyond on each side is a lancet window with hood mould,
with buttresses at the corners of the wall. Above the doorway is a string
course, with a 1st floor window with pointed head, drip mould and wooden
Y-tracery. The south nave wall is of 5 bays separated by buttresses, with
lancet windows and with a continuous drip course of square section. The
east bay is reconstructed, with sandstone dressings. The chancel has 2
paired cusped lights in the south wall. The east wall has 3 large
buttresses with a 3-light window of intersecting tracery with trefoils.
The east wall of the north aisle has windows with 2 cusped lights and a
trefoil, with a similar window in its west wall. The north wall has 4
sandstone lancets with hood moulds.


Listing NGR: SD5070674828

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.