History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Cuthbert

A Grade II* Listed Building in Over Kellet, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1196 / 54°7'10"N

Longitude: -2.7319 / 2°43'54"W

OS Eastings: 352259

OS Northings: 469550

OS Grid: SD522695

Mapcode National: GBR 9NCS.CZ

Mapcode Global: WH83W.0QD6

Entry Name: Church of St. Cuthbert

Listing Date: 4 October 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1071877

English Heritage Legacy ID: 181928

Location: Over Kellet, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA6

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Over Kellet

Built-Up Area: Over Kellet

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Over Kellet St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Over Kellet

Listing Text

SD 56 NW OVER KELLET NETHER KELLET ROAD

7/160 Church of St. Cuthbert
4. 10. 1967
II*


Church, C16th with early C13th remains. Restored 1863/4, and 1909, when the
eastern bay was rebuilt. Pebbledashed rubble with sandstone dressings and
slate roof. Church consists of a nave and chancel under one roof, north
and south aisles, a porch on the north side at the east end of the nave, and
a west tower. The vestry is in the angle between the tower and the north
aisle. The C16th windows are mullioned with double chamfers and round heads
to the lights. The north aisle windows are of 3 lights, with a 2-light
window to the vestry. The south aisle wall is of 4 bays with 2-light chamfered
windows with flush chamfered mullions and round heads. The porch is C19th,
with a 4-centred arched head to the inner door. The tower has diagonal
buttresses and a battlemented parapet. In the west wall is a blocked doorway
with double hollow chamfer, 2-centred head and hood mould. Above is a 3-light
C16th window with hood mould. Bell openings are all C16th, of 3 lights. The
east window is of 3 cusped lights with perpendicular tracery above. Nave has
4-bay arcade with two chamfered orders and octagonal piers. The western arch
and pier of the south aisle, together with the respond, and the western
respond of the north aisle, are probably early C13th: the arch is unmoulded
and the pier of round section. The timber roof is open, with the purlins and
common rafters visible in both the nave and aisles. All trusses have collars
and tie beams except trusses 1 and 2 from the west which only have collars.
Trusses 7 and 8, at the east end, have curved principals. The church retains
box pews in the nave and north aisle, with similar pews in the south aisle of
pitch pine. At the west end of the south aisle are the painted arms of
GeorgeIII. At the east end of the north aisle is a cylindrical gritstone
font.


Listing NGR: SD5225969550

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.