This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0823 / 54°4'56"N
Longitude: -2.7409 / 2°44'27"W
OS Eastings: 351628
OS Northings: 465405
OS Grid: SD516654
Mapcode National: GBR 9P97.DC
Mapcode Global: WH841.WN09
Entry Name: Barn to North-East of Halton Green East Farmhouse
Listing Date: 4 October 1967
Last Amended: 7 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1071892
English Heritage Legacy ID: 181857
Location: Halton-with-Aughton, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2
Civil Parish: Halton-with-Aughton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Halton St Wilfrid
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 56 NW HALTON-WITH-AUGHTON GREEN LANE
7/93 Barn to north-east of
4. 10. 1967 Halton Green East Farmhouse,
(formerly listed as Barn to north of
Halton Green East Farmhouse)
Bank Barn, 1837. Roughly coursed sandstone rubble with rock-faced quoins and
dressings. Slate roof. 2 storeys. All doorways and windows have 4-centred
heads and surrounds with rusticated chamfers. All facades symmetrical with
regular ventilation slits. 2-storey facade to farmyard has central cart
entrance with a window to each side. Beyond these at each side are 3 shippon
doorways. A continuous drip course rises only above central cart entrance.
Above this entrance, on the 1st floor, is a threshing door having a plaque
above with a border of traceried panels and the following in raised gothic
script 'fieri fecit Ricardus Sparling - Berry anno salutis mdcccxxxvii'.
Both gables have Gothic copings, the right-hand one retaining its finial.
Below the apex of each is a trefoiled owl hole surrounded by very deep gothic
mouldings in arch form under a pointed hood mould with decorative stops.
Right-hand gable has 3 plain stone lintels over modern windows on the ground
floor. Rear wall has wide central entrance at higher ground level, with
Listing NGR: SD5162865405
Other nearby listed buildings