This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2703 / 51°16'13"N
Longitude: 0.2662 / 0°15'58"E
OS Eastings: 558184
OS Northings: 154791
OS Grid: TQ581547
Mapcode National: GBR MN7.83V
Mapcode Global: VHHPT.KBLJ
Entry Name: Raspit Hill
Listing Date: 3 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1071960
English Heritage Legacy ID: 357239
Location: Ightham, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN15
District: Tonbridge and Malling
Civil Parish: Ightham
Built-Up Area: Ightham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Ightham St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 55 SE IGHTHAM COACH ROAD
3/1 (west side)
House. 1924-25 by M H Bailie- Scott and Beresford for Mrs Fraser. Brown brick with
small amount of timber-framing and some tile-hanging. Plain tiled roofs. Entrance
front. Main block orientated east-west to rear with two 2-storey half-hipped return
wings to left, 2-storey gabled porch with strap-hinged boarded door to left of centre,
hipped staircase wing to right and half-hipped return wing at extreme right. Two
storeys; irregular fenestration of wood-framed metal casements. Projecting one-storey
catslide-roofed wing to left ending in taller hipped-roof arch with wooden bell-cote
leading into garden. Garage to right connected by 2-bay loggia-passage with Tudor
arch leading into garden and wooden bressumer supporting double-pitch roof. Garage of
red brick with tile-hung return gable to left. Plain tiled roof, hipped and with one
dormer to right. One storey and attic; 2 casements on ground floor, one in attic.
Large garage doors on ground floor, between casements. South front. Hipped plain
tiled roof with 2 lower hipped return wings and lower wing to right, recessed, with
further hipped return wing over columned sun-loggia. Recessed 3-window centre with
central ariel over stone door surround and glazed door. One storey splayed bay on
left-hand return wing and 2-storey splayed bay on right-hand wing. Interior:
Passage, staircase and upstairs corridor panelled in light-coloured oak. Interior
timber-framing visible in space entered through 2 arches from upstaires corridor above
porch. Three-flight wooden square-newel staircase with turned balusters.
Four-centred arched stone fireplace in library. Fireplaces with inset Delft tiles in
small drawing room and spare room upstairs. Dining room pilastered with ribbed
ceiling and Neo-Georgian fireplace. All casements individually made with original
metal-work. Panelled inner-front door with decorative wrought-iron latch. Wooden
sneck door-latches throughout. See The Builder, 24 September 1926 and 14 January
1929; Studio Yearbook of Decorative Arts, 1927: Houses and Gardens 1933; Country Life,
29 September 1934.
Listing NGR: TQ5818454791
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings