History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nepicar House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Platt, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.3009 / 51°18'3"N

Longitude: 0.3355 / 0°20'7"E

OS Eastings: 562906

OS Northings: 158345

OS Grid: TQ629583

Mapcode National: GBR Z4.Z31

Mapcode Global: VHHPN.RKPK

Entry Name: Nepicar House

Listing Date: 1 August 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1071991

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357308

Location: Platt, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN15

County: Kent

District: Tonbridge and Malling

Civil Parish: Platt

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Platt St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

2/4 (south side)

1.8.52 Nepicar House

House. Circa 1700 front added to earlier block at rear which was itself remodelled
for the Reverend Sandford Bailey in circa 1856 by William Burges. Red and blue brick
chequer on plinth of coursed stone blocks. Brick band. Heavy moulded modillion eaves
cornice to steep hipped plain tiled roof with 2 small leaded hipped dormers. Two wide
brick ridge stacks. Two storeys, basement and attic; symmetrical 5 window facade,
glazing bar sashes, those on ground floor C19 with thin glazing bars. Blocked
basement--window heads in plinth. Central panelled doubled doors with large
rectangular overlight. Four steps up to entrance with ornamental cast-iron
hand-rail. Projecting semi-circular hood over entrance with shell ornament and in
centre plaster relief of bear. Carved foliated supporting console brackets. Rear of
the block has 2 large gables. Gabled 2-storey brick wing behind with door to north
topped by enriched armorial decoration. Interior. Panelled hall and passage behind
off early C18 staircase with Salamonic balusters, probably moved. One pilastered
panelled room to right of hall. This building in 1980 won an R.I.B.A. prize for
conservation of historic buildings and has a long and low late 1970's brick and smoked
glass office wing attached on the south side.

Listing NGR: TQ6303058367

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.