History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Waterloo, Blackpool

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7963 / 53°47'46"N

Longitude: -3.0531 / 3°3'10"W

OS Eastings: 330732

OS Northings: 433848

OS Grid: SD307338

Mapcode National: GBR ZK2.KV

Mapcode Global: WH858.2VF1

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 20 October 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072008

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183665

Location: Blackpool, FY4

County: Blackpool

Electoral Ward/Division: Waterloo

Built-Up Area: Blackpool

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Blackpool Holy Trinity, South Shore

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Blackpool

Listing Text

SD 33 SW BLACKPOOL DEAN STREET

3/8 Church of the Holy Trinity

II


Church, 1878 and 1894-5, by R.K. Freeman: the east end with transepts
was built first, as extension to east end of original 1836 church. Yellow
stone with red stone dressings and slate roofs. Nave and chancel under
one roof, north-west tower and transepts. In a free style of Decorated
Gothic. Tower of 5 stages with light angle-buttresses and triplets of
2-light belfry louvres, battlemented parapet, and canted stair turret to
the 3rd stage with pyramidal roof of red tiles. Very high nave with
transepts of two gables. West front has angle-buttresses, a large
traceried window, and blind arcading in the gable. Nave of 3 bays has
pilaster buttresses and transomed 2-light windows, and transepts have
very high 4-light windows with curvilinear travery in the heads.
Interior: a single vessel as far as the chancel arch, with a very
high nave arcade (without capitals) passing across the transepts, and
separated from the outer walls by small strainer arches which define
aisle-passages, and short tunnel cross-vaults. Pointed wooden tunnel
roof with ornate hammerbeams in the form of angels. Good stained glass
windows to south transept by Shrigley and Hunt of Lancaster.


Listing NGR: SD3073233848

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.