This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8273 / 53°49'38"N
Longitude: -3.0546 / 3°3'16"W
OS Eastings: 330684
OS Northings: 437296
OS Grid: SD306372
Mapcode National: GBR ZJT.LC
Mapcode Global: WH858.12Q8
Entry Name: Imperial Hotel
Listing Date: 20 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1072011
English Heritage Legacy ID: 183670
Location: Blackpool, FY1
Electoral Ward/Division: Claremont
Built-Up Area: Blackpool
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Blackpool St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 33 NW BLACKPOOL PROMENADE
2/11 Imperial Hotel
Hotel, 1866-7, by Clegg and Knowles of Manchester, wing added 1875 by Mangnall and
Littlewood; 1904 extension on north side by J D Broadbent. Red brick with stone
dressings and hipped slate roofs. U-shaped plan, with wings receding. Front block
and south wing in restrained French Renaissance style, 1904 extension free Baroque.
Four storeys and attic, originally symmetrical, with centre rising to square tower
at attic level; centre bay and wings slightly stepped forward, canted 4-storey bays
in wings. Eaves cornice with brackets. Entrance porch (probably 1904) with
Corinthian order; 3 windows to each floor above, vertically integrated in continuous
stone architrave broken by eaves cornice, window heads slightly arched on 1st and 2nd
floors, round-headed on 3rd and attic floors. Other windows have stone archivolts
and keystones; those of ground and 2nd floors are round-headed, the remainder
segmental stilted, but with slightly differing treatment to canted bays, Some sashes.
North extension (1904) with stone-coloured terracotta dressings; 3 storeys, attic in
mansard roof, and large single-storey pavilion projecting forwards. Features of this
wing include a porch with two orders, and a turret entirely clad in terracotta which
terminates in a small lead dome. Interior has entrance hall (altered) with Corinthian
pilasters and columns; saloon decorated in Louis XV style; and large dining room with
colonnades and coved ceiling.
Listing NGR: SD3068437296
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings