History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Sacred Heart

A Grade II* Listed Building in Claremont, Blackpool

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8195 / 53°49'10"N

Longitude: -3.0537 / 3°3'13"W

OS Eastings: 330726

OS Northings: 436433

OS Grid: SD307364

Mapcode National: GBR ZK0.YS

Mapcode Global: WH858.2836

Entry Name: Church of the Sacred Heart

Listing Date: 20 October 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072015

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183680

Location: Blackpool, FY1

County: Blackpool

Electoral Ward/Division: Claremont

Built-Up Area: Blackpool

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Blackpool St John

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Blackpool

Listing Text

SD 33 NW
44-/1/23

BLACKPOOL
TALBOT ROAD
Church of the Sacred Heart

II*


1857, by Edward Welby Pugin, enlarged 1894 by Pugin and Pugin. Decorated Gothic.
Stone, with slate roofs. West tower of 4 stages, angled buttresses and
battlemented coping with tall corner pinnacles. Nave of 4 bays, with
buttressed aisles, and nave transepts; octagonal crossing also with
transepts, and octagonal lantern to the crossing. Aisle windows of 3
lights. Nave transepts have 4-light window with geometrical tracery,
octagon transepts have large 6-light window with reticulated tracery and
a 3-light gable eye with archivolt. Octagonal crossing has pyramidal
roof bearing a distinctive octagonal wooden lantern with a pair of
traceried windows in each side, and a pyramidal copper roof with gablets
on alternate sides. Interior: nave arcade of moulded lancet arches on
clustered marble columns. The unusual crossing is formed by an octagonal
arcade of moulded arches on shafted piers; lantern above is carried on two
tiers of hammerbeams in the angles, the upper tier supporting an unglazed
prolongation of the wooden lantern above. Chancel has arched ceiling
with painted and carved panels and large skylights, and a coved cornice
with carvings of angels; chancel window of 5 lights with flowing tracery;
elaborate carved reredos. A lady chapel in the salient each side of the
chancel. Octagonal pulpit of elaborately carved white marble on a pedestal
of short columns, alternately black and red.


Listing NGR: SD3072636433

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.