This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.782 / 53°46'55"N
Longitude: -2.8692 / 2°52'9"W
OS Eastings: 342824
OS Northings: 432093
OS Grid: SD428320
Mapcode National: GBR 8SDP.MZ
Mapcode Global: WH85J.W6XG
Entry Name: Hillside and Attached Wings
Listing Date: 12 June 1950
Last Amended: 11 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1072025
English Heritage Legacy ID: 183601
Location: Kirkham, Fylde, Lancashire, PR4
Civil Parish: Kirkham
Built-Up Area: Kirkham
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Kirkham St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
KIRKHAM PRESTON STREET
SD 43 SW
9/31 No.48 Hillside and attached wings
(Formerly listed as No 48
House with attached stable wings, now restaurant, early C19 with a few
later alterations. Brick (in Flemish bond) on sandstone plinth with stone
(or stucco) dressings, slate roof and gable stacks. 5 bays, 2 storeys with
cellar and attic. The doorway is set within a semi-elliptical arch and has
engaged Ionic columns carrying a simple cornice with a semi-elliptical
fanlight over. Probably original door with.6 raised and fielded panels.
All windows are sashed with 12 panes and have stone (or stucco) lintels and
sills. Doorway is approached up a double flight of stairs with cast iron
railings; these have stick balusters on the flights but a roundel in the
centre of the top balustrade which supports a late-c19th lantern (also
supported from the cornice of the doorway). To either side (but not
symmetrically) are lower two-storey wings with stable or coach house doors
below and a pair of lunette windows above. Interior: Most doorways have
reeded jambs, but the detail generally appears to be towards mid C19.
Staircase has open string (with brackets decorated with Vitruvian scrolls)
stick balusters and a mahogany handrail. Landing window has margin-pane
glazing, reeded jambs and a semi-circular head decorated with feathers set
radially. History: House built by John Birley for his son Edward, who died
in 1811 before it was completed. Edward Birley's tomb is in the churchyard
of the Church of St. Michael (q.v. under Church Street).
Listing NGR: SD4282432093
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings