This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7858 / 53°47'8"N
Longitude: -2.5609 / 2°33'39"W
OS Eastings: 363141
OS Northings: 432309
OS Grid: SD631323
Mapcode National: GBR BSKN.CM
Mapcode Global: WH96T.M3QK
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 13 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1072061
English Heritage Legacy ID: 183486
Location: Balderstone, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB2
District: Ribble Valley
Civil Parish: Balderstone
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Balderstone St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 63 SW
Church of St.Leonard
Church, 1852-4 by Rampling of Preston (Pevsner), with tower added 1906.
Sandstone rubble with slate roof. Comprises a nave with lower chancel,
tower at the west end of the north side of the nave, north organ chamber,
and a lower gabled projection on the south side. The west window is of 3
lights with flowing tracery under a pointed head. Below it is a low
semi-octagonal buttressed projection with parapet. This houses the font
and has windows on 3 sides. The nave is of 3 bays on the north side and 4
on the south, all separated by buttresses. The windows are of 2 trefoiled
lights under pointed heads with Geometric tracery. On each side there are
2 small timber dormers. The tower has diagonal buttresses and incorporates
a porch in its lower stage. It has a stone spire set back behind a
parapet, and bell openings of 2 trefoiled lights under a pointed head with
trefoil. The doorway has a moulded pointed arch. The east window is of 5
lights with Geometric tracery under a pointed head. Inside, the nave has a
steeply-pitched open timber roof. The 3 trusses have curved braces to high
collars which support king posts. They are tied at wallplate level by iron
rods. To the left of the pointed chancel arch is a dressed sandstone
opening resembling a window, the 2 trefoiled lights containing organ
pipes. The windows contain some glass of later C19 date.
Listing NGR: SD6314132309
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings