This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8049 / 53°48'17"N
Longitude: -2.5419 / 2°32'30"W
OS Eastings: 364411
OS Northings: 434422
OS Grid: SD644344
Mapcode National: GBR BSPF.HS
Mapcode Global: WH96M.XMRG
Entry Name: Osbaldeston Hall
Listing Date: 27 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1072072
English Heritage Legacy ID: 183512
Location: Osbaldeston, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB2
District: Ribble Valley
Civil Parish: Osbaldeston
Built-Up Area: Ribchester
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Balderstone St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 63 SW
4/31 Osbaldeston Hall
House, probably c.1600 with remains of C16 and earlier, altered 1946.
Exact development of house complex. Most of house faced in snecked
sandstone rubble dating from 1946 restoration. East and south walls of
'banqueting hall' of brick. Remains of cruck frame and post-and-truss
frame inside. Slate roof. 2 storeys. South front has long range known as
'banqueting hall' projecting forwards at left. This has an east wall with
a plinth, quoins, and parapet of stone. On the ground floor are 4 2-light
double-chamfered mullioned windows with hoods. On the 1st floor are 5 tall
windows with plain reveals. The west wall of this range is of sandstone
rubble and has 2 projecting bays, now under catslide roofs, with blocked
mullioned windows. Between them is a chimney stack projecting on stone
corbels, now truncated at eaves level. On the 1st floor the north gable
wall has an ovolo-moulded and chamfered mullioned and transomed window now
partly blocked. On the south side the recessed central part of the facade
is of 3 bays, with mullioned and transomed windows on the ground floor and
mullioned ones above, all replaced in 1946. The central bay has a doorway
with lintel inscribed: '1946'. At the right is a one-bay cross-wing with
double-chamfered mullioned and transomed windows, again C20 replacements.
This wing has remains of timber framing visible inside. Its east wall has
a projecting chimney stack. Set back to the right is a gabled wing of 1
bay which has a mullioned and transomed ground-floor window on the ground
floor and a mullioned one above. This wing is partly cruck-framed inside.
Inside, the 'banqueting hall' now has no 1st floor and the tie-beam
trusses are visible. These are constructed from timber re-used from a
timber-framed building. On the 1st floor the right-hand cross-wing has an
elaborate plaster fireplace surround with overmantel, incorporating terms,
figures, and a shield with many quarterings. It also has the initials 'EO'
and 'MO', attributed to Edward and Maud Osbaldeston, who held the estates
1575-90 (VCH). The walls of this wing show some evidence of timber
framing. The trusses visible in the attic have king posts rising from
cambered tie beams to a yoke, braced downwards to the tie beam and with
queen struts. The purlins are wind-braced. The right-hand wing has 2 cruck
trusses visible on the 1st floor and in the attic, one against the
southern gable wall. The other truss is partly visible on the ground
floor. Both have outriders and a yoke below the apex. The northern truss
of the 2 has spurs to wall posts, confirming that the walls of this wing
were originally timber framed. The upper parts of both trusses, visible in
the attic, appear to have light smoke blackening.
Listing NGR: SD6441134422
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings