History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Oxendale Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Osbaldeston, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.796 / 53°47'45"N

Longitude: -2.5312 / 2°31'52"W

OS Eastings: 365104

OS Northings: 433429

OS Grid: SD651334

Mapcode National: GBR BSRJ.SZ

Mapcode Global: WH96N.2VX9

Entry Name: Oxendale Hall

Listing Date: 27 August 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072075

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183517

Location: Osbaldeston, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB2

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Osbaldeston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Balderstone St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Ribchester

Listing Text

OSBALDESTON
SD 63 SE
5/32 Oxendale Hall
27-8-1952
GV II*

House, 1656. Sandstone rubble.with stone slate roof. 2 storeys with attic.
Facade has cross-wing at left, and a bay with gabled attic dormer on each
side of a porch of 2 storeys with attic. Windows mullioned with ovolo
moulding and chamfer, with hoods. Much of the stonework of the windows has
been renewed, and some of the sills have been lowered. The cross-wing has
a 6-light window on the ground floor, one of 5 lights above, and a 3-light
attic window. The bay to the left of the porch has windows with a similar
number of lights. To the right the windows are of 4 lights to the ground
and 1st floors and 3 lights to the attic. The porch has 3-light windows on
the 1st floor and to the attic. The door has a worn moulded stone surround
with segmental head and lintel inscribed: '1656 LRO'. Gables coped with
kneelers and finials. Chimneys at left, to right of porch, and on
right-hand gable. Quoins of right-hand gable wall appear to have been
replaced. Inside, the door opens against a firehood baffle. In the room to
the left of the porch the firehood bressumer remains, as do 2
ovolo-moulded axial main beams. The cross-wing is divided by a wall of
timber and wattle-and-daub and is entered by 2 timber doorways. On the 1st
floor of the cross-wing is a blocked moulded stone fireplace with a
plaster overmantel with plant decoration and various motifs including deer
and flowers. In the centre it has the inscription: '1657 LRO'. A 1st floor
window at the rear of the house includes a diamond pane painted with the
inscription: 'LOR 1658'. This appears to be genuine.


Listing NGR: SD6510433429

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.