History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John Evangelist

A Grade II Listed Building in Read, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8086 / 53°48'31"N

Longitude: -2.3571 / 2°21'25"W

OS Eastings: 376578

OS Northings: 434764

OS Grid: SD765347

Mapcode National: GBR CSZD.HG

Mapcode Global: WH96Q.RJRL

Entry Name: Church of St John Evangelist

Listing Date: 17 December 1968

Last Amended: 17 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072077

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183521

Location: Read, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB12

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Read

Built-Up Area: Read

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: St John's, Read and St Peter's, Simonstone

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Sabden

Listing Text

READ
SD 73 SE
7/36 Church of St.John Evangelist
17-12-1968
- II

Church, 1884 by Ross of Accrington, with tower added 1911. Rock-faced
sandstone with slate roof. Comprises a west tower with west chapel, a
nave, a lower chancel which has a 3-sided apsidal east end, a north
lean-to organ chamber and vestry, a gabled projection on the south, and a
south porch. The nave, of 5 bays to the north and 4 to the south, has
paired chamfered lancets. The porch is timber-framed above a stone base.
Against the west wall, offset to the south, is the tower, which has angle
buttresses which terminate with gablets against a stone spire. The bell
openings are of 2 trefoiled lights with a trefoil under a pointed head.
The west window is similar. To the north of the tower, against the west
wall of the nave, is a single-storey lean-to chapel which has 3 windows
each of one trefoiled light. Inside, the nave has scissor-braced trusses.
At the west end 2 moulded pointed arches with octagonal column and
semi-octagonal responds open into the chapel. A smaller arch to the south
opens into the lower stage of the tower. The chancel arch is pointed and
chamfered in 2 orders.


Listing NGR: SD7657834764

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.