History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Standen Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Pendleton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8581 / 53°51'29"N

Longitude: -2.3856 / 2°23'8"W

OS Eastings: 374736

OS Northings: 440275

OS Grid: SD747402

Mapcode National: GBR CRST.BQ

Mapcode Global: WH96J.B985

Entry Name: Standen Hall

Listing Date: 29 December 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072085

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183435

Location: Pendleton, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Pendleton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Find accommodation in
Clitheroe

Listing Text

SD 74 SW PENDLETON

SD 747 402

6/116 Standen Hall
29.12.1952
GV II*

Country house, rebuilt 1757 (VCH) with west wing rebuilt c.1858. Squared
sandstone with slate roofs. East front a symmetrical composition of 3
storeys and 7 bays, with projecting quoins, a string course above the
1st floor and a cornice. The central 3 bays on the ground floor project
to carry an attached giant order of Doric columns supporting an entablature
with triglyph frieze and a dentilled moulded pediment. Windows sashed,
with glazing bars on the 1st floor and to the 3 right-hand bays of the
2nd floor, the remainder sashed with no glazing bars. All have architraves,
the 3 central 1st floor ones with pulvinated friezes and pediments, the
central one segmental. The central doorway has Tuscan pilasters, a semi-
circular head, and a pediment on console brackets. 2 chimneys on ridge.
Adjoining to the right is a 2-storey 3-bay wing in a similar style.
Adjoining its front wall at right angles is the single-storey billiard room
of 1876. The south front has, at its right-hand side, 2 bays of the 3-
storey east block, the 2nd floor above a cornice. Towards the centre of
the facade is a recessed 2-storey section of 3 bays in a similar style,
with a central doorway with architrave, and pediment on console brackets.
The doorway is within an open Adamesque porch with corner urns. To the
left are 3 bays of the taller 2-storey 1858 wing, whose details are more
Italianate on the west side. Interior appears to have been re-modelled in
C19th. North room at front of east block has pedimented oak doorcases.
Door in east front now enters under a stair with stick balusters and ramped
handrail. 1st floor rooms not accessible at time of survey.


Listing NGR: SD7473640275

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.