This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8945 / 53°53'40"N
Longitude: -2.3317 / 2°19'54"W
OS Eastings: 378298
OS Northings: 444309
OS Grid: SD782443
Mapcode National: GBR DR4D.ZN
Mapcode Global: WH96C.4CXR
Entry Name: Downham Hall
Listing Date: 13 December 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1072125
English Heritage Legacy ID: 183326
Location: Downham, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7
District: Ribble Valley
Civil Parish: Downham
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Downham St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 78 44 DOWNHAM
13/7 Downham Hall
Country house, 1835, by George Webster, with later alterations and with
some remains of c.1600. Limestone and sandstone rubble with sandstone
dressings and slate roof. Grecian style. 2 storeys with attics. North
facade has 2 outer projecting wings of 2 bays each. The central bay of
the facade projects with a pedimented gable and a single-storey tetrastyle
portico of unfluted Greek Doric columns. This central section is linked
to the wings on the ground floor. On the 1st floor it is linked to the
main front by 3-sided projections. Windows sashed with glazing bars and
with aprons on the ground floor and a 1st floor sill band. The window of
the central projecting bay is flanked by the shields of Henry de Lacy and
John of Gaunt. Cornice and blocking course. Chimneys on ridge and above
outer walls, some over windows. South facade a balanced composition with
2 outer projecting wings: the eastern one of 2 bays, the western of
one bay. Central section of 5 bays with central porch of 2 paired antae,
a C20th reconstruction in keeping. The west wing has masonry with traces
of dressings from the earlier house. The west facade is of 3 bays, the
central bay flanked by pilasters. The ground floor windows have architraves
and cornices on console brackets, the outer ones with aprons, the central
one now a door. On the east side of the house are later C19th additions.
Interior has open-well stair with stick balusters and ramped handrail.
Library has Grecian bookcases by Webster. Haworth, J. and Taylor, A.
[Websters of Kendal.]
Listing NGR: SD7829844309
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings