History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Friends' Meeting House and House Adjoining to South West

A Grade II Listed Building in Grindleton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9158 / 53°54'56"N

Longitude: -2.3475 / 2°20'50"W

OS Eastings: 377272

OS Northings: 446684

OS Grid: SD772466

Mapcode National: GBR DR15.K1

Mapcode Global: WH964.XTBY

Entry Name: Friends' Meeting House and House Adjoining to South West

Listing Date: 16 November 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072149

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183279

Location: Grindleton, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Grindleton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Grindleton St Ambrose

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Sawley

Listing Text

SD 772 466, SD 74 NE,
7/107

GRINDLETON,
Friends' Meeting House and house adjoining to south-west

16.11.1954

G.V.

II

Quaker meeting house, late C18th. Squared watershot limestone with
sandstone dressings and stone slate roof. Meeting house, to the right,
of one storey with gallery. House of 2 storeys. Meeting house has a
tripartite sashed window with glazing bars, plain stone surround and
square mullions on each side of the door. The double door has raised
and fielded panels and a plain stone surround with a semi-circular head
with keystone, rising above a lintel. The fanlight has radiating
glazing bars. The house has a bay to the left of its door having sashed
windows with glazing bars and plain stone surrounds. To its left are
projecting quoins, matching those at the right of the meeting house.
To the left is a C19th extension having chamfered quoins of imitation
stone. On the 1st floor is a 2-light window with plain stone surround
and square mullion. On the ground floor is a French window with plain
stone surround. The left-hand gable has a brick chimney cap. The
right-hand gable wall of the meeting house has 2 2-light windows on the
1st floor with plain stone surrounds and square mullions. Below is a
door with plain stone surround. INTERIOR: The meeting room has fixed
pine benches of raised and fielded panels at its left-hand side. At
the right is a wide gallery, formerly used by women and children, having
a front of raised and fielded panels, some of which open as shutters.


Listing NGR: SD7727246684

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.