This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9786 / 53°58'43"N
Longitude: -2.3453 / 2°20'43"W
OS Eastings: 377448
OS Northings: 453672
OS Grid: SD774536
Mapcode National: GBR DQ2F.1J
Mapcode Global: WH95Y.Y8B8
Entry Name: Beckfoot Farmhouse and Farm Building Adjoining West
Listing Date: 20 February 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1072171
English Heritage Legacy ID: 183228
Location: Bolton-by-Bowland, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BD23
District: Ribble Valley
Civil Parish: Bolton-by-Bowland
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Tosside St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SD 774 536 BOLTON-BY-BOWLAND
SD 75 SE
4/56 Beckfoot Farmhouse and
farm building adjoining to
House, 1686, partly rebuilt 1876. Sandstone rubble with slate roof.
Now double-pile plan. Facade has 2 bays to right of 2-storey gabled
porch. The windows of the left-hand bay have an inner ovolo and outer
chamfer and ovolo-moulded hoods: on the ground floor 5 lights, with 4
lights on the 1st floor. The windows of the right-hand bay are of 4
lights and have an inner hollow chamfer, an outer chamfer, and hoods.
The porch has a stepped 3-light mullioned window with inner ovolo, outer
chamfer and ovolo-moulded hood. Below the porch gable is a plaque
'W & M HALLAM 1876', The door has a moulded surround with shaped lintel
and a plaque above: ' EBI AN.DO 1686'. Both have been re-tooled and are
enclosed by a hood. End stacks. The dressings of the rear wall all date
from the C19th rebuilding. Interior. The left-hand front room has a
stone fireplace with raised and fielded panels carved on the lintel and
jambs. The lintel has a segmental soffit and a cyma moulded cornice.
The 2 outer panels each have a single carved flower. The central panel
is inscribed: 'James and Anna Swinglehirst Anno Domi 1728'.
Adjoining to the left is a shippon and garage, formerly part of the
house and having an asbestos sheet roof. At the left are the remains
of a surround to a mullioned window with a hood. To its right is a
door with plain reveals, with a similar wider door at the far right.
At the right on the 1st floor is a 3-light double-chamfered mullioned
window. Towards the left is a former 2-light mullioned window, cut
through to make a pitching hole. The left-hand gable shows the line of
a roof of steeper pitch, belonging either to this building or to an
earlier building which has disappeared. - - -
Listing NGR: SD7744853672
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings