History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Bartholomew

A Grade II Listed Building in Gisburn Forest, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0003 / 54°0'0"N

Longitude: -2.3537 / 2°21'13"W

OS Eastings: 376912

OS Northings: 456083

OS Grid: SD769560

Mapcode National: GBR DQ05.7R

Mapcode Global: WH95R.TQC6

Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew

Listing Date: 16 November 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072177

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183243

Location: Gisburn Forest, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BD23

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Gisburn Forest

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Tosside St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Wigglesworth

Listing Text

GISBURN FOREST TOSSIDE
SD 75 NE

2/71 Church of St. Bartholomew
16.11.1954
GV II


Parish church, formerly Houghton Chapel. Mid-to-late C18th, restored
1873. Squared watershot sandstone with stone slate roof. Comprises a
nave and chancel under a continuous roof and a south porch. The
south wall has projecting quoins and has 3 bays to the right of the porch
and one to the left. The windows have projecting plain stone surrounds
with semi-circular heads. The porch is gabled with a coping and
cross finial and with clasping pilasters. The outer and inner doors
have plain stone surrounds with semi-circular heads, projecting imposts,
and projecting stepped keystones. The church gables have copings,
the eastern one having a cross finial, the western one having an open
stone bellcote, probably of 1873, of square section broached to a small
stone spire with cross. The north wall is of 2 bays having windows with
plain stone surrounds and semi-circular heads. The east wall has a
Venetian window with plain stone surround and square mullions. Inside
are 4 boxed kingpost trusses. The octagonal sandstone font is inscribed
'...(K)NOW THAT ALL CHILDREN BAPTISED HEARE GOD GAVE THEM GOOD LIVES TO
LEAD THE ETERNAL GOD TO FEARE. 1619 RF'.


Listing NGR: SD7691256083

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.