History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Ambrose

A Grade II Listed Building in Grindleton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9062 / 53°54'22"N

Longitude: -2.3633 / 2°21'47"W

OS Eastings: 376227

OS Northings: 445624

OS Grid: SD762456

Mapcode National: GBR CRY8.4G

Mapcode Global: WH96B.N2TR

Entry Name: Church of St Ambrose

Listing Date: 20 February 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072188

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183271

Location: Grindleton, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Grindleton

Built-Up Area: Grindleton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Grindleton St Ambrose

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Grindleton

Listing Text

GRINDLETON SAWLEY ROADS
SD 74 NE

7/99 Church of St. Ambrose
-
- II

Church, 1805, enlarged 1890s to designs by Paley and Austin which
included a steeple and porch which were never executed (church guide).
Squared sandstone with slate roof. Comprises a west tower and nave of
1805, a later chancel under a continuous roof, a north aisle with
pitched roof, and a south porch partly of timber. The slim west
tower has a blank ground floor, a sill band to a lunette west window
with plain stone surround, and bell openings which are also lunettes
with a continuous sill band. Crude battlements are formed by blocks
of stone, with corner pinnacles. The south nave wall is of 3 bays. The
windows have plain stone surrounds with a central square mullion branching
into a Y under a semi-circular head with impost blocks and an impost
band. The door, between bays one and 2, has a plain stone surround under
a later C19th timbered porch. The chancel, beyond a buttress with offsets,
has one bay towards the south. The window is of 3 lights with a pointed
head. The E. window is of 4 lights with pointed head, with segmental
heads to the lights and with tracery. The north aisle windows have flat
heads and 2 lights each with segmental heads. The west nave window is
of 2 lights with reticulated tracery under a flat head. The interior
has a 5-bay timber arcade of rectangular chamfered posts braced to an
arcade plate. The roof timbers are exposed, the nave having main
trusses with a tie beam, a king post rising up to an arch-braced collar,
and short queen struts; intermediate trusses have arch-braced collars
only. The chancel has double sedilia and a piscina. The east window
has late C19th glass figures of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Simple
rood with the beam formed of one of the ties.


Listing NGR: SD7622745624

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.