History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bolton by Bowland Church of England School and School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bolton-by-Bowland, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9402 / 53°56'24"N

Longitude: -2.3237 / 2°19'25"W

OS Eastings: 378850

OS Northings: 449392

OS Grid: SD788493

Mapcode National: GBR DQ6W.Q9

Mapcode Global: WH965.87R6

Entry Name: Bolton by Bowland Church of England School and School House

Listing Date: 20 February 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072203

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183204

Location: Bolton-by-Bowland, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Bolton-by-Bowland

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Bolton by Bowland St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Bolton by Bowland

Listing Text

BOLTON-BY-BOWLAND GISBURN ROAD (north side)

SD 78 49

13/32 Bolton-by-Bowland Church
of England Primary School
and School House
-
GV II

School, 1874 by Paley and Austin. Limestone rubble with sandstone
dressing and slate roof. School of one storey. West facade has
cross-wing at left-hand end having chamfered mullioned and transomed
window with hood and with 3 upper lights and 5 lower lights. Further
right are 3 8-light mullioned and transomed windows. Adjoining at the
north is an addition of 1906 in a similar style. South facade has
gable of school to left with bellcote and with a window similar to that
of the cross-wing of the west facade. The entrance is to the right,
into a porch linking the school with school house. The door has a
chamfered surround with Tudor-arched head, 3 mullioned lights over,
and inscribed date '1874'. The school house to the right is of 2 storeys
with hipped roofs. At the right in a cross-wing with a 2-storey timber
canted bay window, having a band of slate hanging, and rising above
eaves level with its own hipped roof. The main part of the house facade
has an 8-light chamfered mullioned and transomed window on the ground
floor and 4-light and 3-light mullioned windows on the 1st floor. In
the angle with the cross-wing is a porch, partly timbered and under a
slate roof. Plans deposited in the Lancashire Record Office (PR 3047),
made by Paley and Austin and dated 1870, show a building almost identical
in plan to the existing school, but differing in some of the details of the
elevation.

Listing NGR: SD7885049392

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.