History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Alder House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bolton-by-Bowland, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9496 / 53°56'58"N

Longitude: -2.3583 / 2°21'29"W

OS Eastings: 376580

OS Northings: 450451

OS Grid: SD765504

Mapcode National: GBR CQZR.7X

Mapcode Global: WH95Y.RZ5J

Entry Name: Alder House

Listing Date: 16 November 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072207

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183213

Location: Bolton-by-Bowland, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Bolton-by-Bowland

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Bolton by Bowland St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Bolton by Bowland

Listing Text

BOLTON-BY-BOWLAND HOLDEN LANE

SD 75 SE

4/41 Alder House
16.11.1954
- II*


House, 'TW 1708' on plaque. Sandstone rubble with stone slate roof.
Double-pile plan with end stacks and central 3-storey gabled porch.
3 storeys. Windows have an inner cyma moulding and outer chamfer.
On each side of the porch, on the ground and first floor, is an
8-light mullioned and transomed window with hood. On the 2nd floor,
on each side, is a 3-light stepped mullioned window. The upper
storeys of the porch oversail on a moulded string. On the 1st floor
is a 6-light mullioned and transomed window with a stepped head, a
segmental head to the lower central light, and a hood with spiral
stops. On the 2nd floor is a stepped mullioned window with segmental
heads to the lights and with a hood with spiral stops. The outer
doorway is chamfered with a shaped lintel, with a date plaque over,
and with a hood with spiral stops. The inner doorway is cyma moulded
with a Tudor arch. The porch and right-hand gables have copings with
footstones. At the rear are a 5-light mullioned window and 2 cross
windows, with inner ovolo and outer chamfer, a one-light ovolo-
moulded window with shaped head, and several windows with re-used C17th
dressings. Inside there is a stair with 2 flights of stone around a
closed well, continuing up to the 2nd floor as an open-well closed-
string stair with square newels and turned balusters. On the 1st
floor there is oak partitioning, and doors, of raised and fielded
panels. The only roof truss visible at time of survey has an
interrupted tie beam above floor level, braced downwards to a main
floor joist.


Listing NGR: SD7658050451

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.