History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in Bowland Forest Low, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9169 / 53°55'1"N

Longitude: -2.5209 / 2°31'15"W

OS Eastings: 365886

OS Northings: 446881

OS Grid: SD658468

Mapcode National: GBR BRV4.1M

Mapcode Global: WH962.7TV2

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 16 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072236

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183071

Location: Bowland Forest Low, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Bowland Forest Low

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Find accommodation in
Newton

Listing Text

SD 64 NE BOWLAND FOREST LOW WHITEWELL

14/20 Church of St. Michael
-
GV II

Church, rebuilt in 1817, with chancel of 1896. Rendered rubble with sandstone
dressings and slate roof. The south wall has projecting quoins and 3 cross
windows with cusped heads to the upper lights, panel tracery above, and hood
moulds. To their right is a chamfered door with 2-centred head and hood. To
the left is a gabled porch with a chamfered doorway with 4-centred head . Above
is a large piece of slate inscribed: 'This Chapel was rebuilt Anno Domini
1817 ....' The gables have copings, the eastern one with a cross at the apex,
the western one with a square open stone bellcote. The west wall has a
chamfered lancet window, the north wall having 4 windows similar to those on
the south wall, but without hoods. The lower chancel is of exposed rubble,
with an east window with 4-centred head, hood, and 4 lights with pointed,
cusped lights. Against the north wall is a vestry, with a re-set Perpendicular
window of 2 cusped lights with panel tracery above, under a flat head. Inside
there is a west gallery of 1825 supported on 2 slim iron columns and with
tracery decoration to its front. The shallow chancel has an arch of 2
chamfered orders and is lined with rock-faced sandstone. The east window shows
the birth of Christ. The font is a plain bowl of sandstone on a base of re-used
dressed masonry. A flat modern ceiling hides the roof.


Listing NGR: SD6588646881

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.