History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Reading Room

A Grade II Listed Building in Newton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9494 / 53°56'57"N

Longitude: -2.4633 / 2°27'47"W

OS Eastings: 369693

OS Northings: 450468

OS Grid: SD696504

Mapcode National: GBR CQ7R.HZ

Mapcode Global: WH95X.4Z9P

Entry Name: The Old Reading Room

Listing Date: 16 November 1954

Last Amended: 16 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072248

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183104

Location: Newton, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Newton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Slaidburn St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Newton

Listing Text

SD 6950 NEWTON NEWTON VILLAGE

The Old Reading Room (formerly listed
18/53 as Reading Room and County Library)
16.11.1954
GV II

House, late C18th and 1830. Restored in the 1960s when a 3rd storey was
removed. Limestone rubble with sandstone dressings and slate roof. 2 storeys.
South wall has furrowed quoins. To the right is a 2-light window with plain
stone surround and square mullion. To its left is a door with plain stone
surround. Further left is a wide opening with segmental head and furrowed
voussoirs. On the 1st floor is a 6-light weaving window with square mullions.
Stone gutter brackets. The rear wall is partly built into the hillside. The
low ground-floor windows have plain stone surrounds. The two 1st floor windows
have plain stone surrounds, the left-hand one being of 2 lights with a square
mullion. The central doorway is approached by stone steps and has a plain
stone surround with semi-circular head, projecting keystone and imposts. -
The tympanum is of worn sandstone inscribed 'APN 1830'.


Listing NGR: SD6969350468

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.