History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lowlands Farmhouse and Barns Adjoining to North and South

A Grade II Listed Building in Newton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9495 / 53°56'58"N

Longitude: -2.462 / 2°27'43"W

OS Eastings: 369775

OS Northings: 450479

OS Grid: SD697504

Mapcode National: GBR CQ7R.SY

Mapcode Global: WH95X.4ZWL

Entry Name: Lowlands Farmhouse and Barns Adjoining to North and South

Listing Date: 16 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072252

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183111

Location: Newton, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Newton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Slaidburn St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Newton

Listing Text

SD 695O NEWTON NEWTON VILLAGE

Lowlands Farmhouse and barns adjoining
18/60 to north and south
-
GV II

House, probably early C19th with C17th remains. Slobbered limestone rubble
with sandstone dressings and slate roof. 2 storeys. House of 2 bays with
central entry and end stacks. The windows have plain stone surrounds and
6-pane sashes. The moulding of the door jambs continues upwards to make a
shape on the face of the lintel, which has 'W I S 1678' inscribed on the
face, together with a decorative motif, and 'R' and 'S' inscribed at the sides.
To the left is an agricultural building, of the same build and under a
continuous roof. The front wall is blank on the ground floor and has a 1st
floor pitching hole with plain stone surround and segmental soffit to the
lintel. The left-hand gable has a blocked doorway with long-and-short jambs,
now blocked to form a window. To the right of the house is a barn, also
under a continuous roof. It has a wide opening with segmental arch of
punched voussoirs. To its right is a blocked door with plain stone surround,
now a window. The right-hand gable wall has 2 outer shippon doors with
plain stone surrounds, now blocked to form windows. A central door has long
and short jambs and a lintel with debased 4-centred arch inscribed 'EWS 1671 RS'.


Listing NGR: SD6977550479

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.